Organizing your life after divorce
In this video, Billie Tarascio answers client questions and goes over the elements you need to deal with to move on after a divorce. Just because the divorce is final, you may want to take a deep breath and relax, but there’s more to do.
Here’s a list of some of the elements that will need your attention:
- Change beneficiaries on accounts
- Change title on car/house
- Update your estate plan
- Update all/any of your powers of attorneys
- Update your payable on death designations
- Update the guardianship for your children
- Update ownership of anything you’ve owned together
- Update or change a joint trust
- Update your legal name, if applicable, on all your credit cards, social security, and accounts
Lastly, make sure you have yours and your children’s birth certificates, social security cards, passports, and have a plan to access all these documents. That means getting organized so that when you need important documents you won’t have to pester an unhelpful ex for information when you most need it.