loader image
Close this search box.

What to Do If the Custodial Parent Ignores the Non-Custodial Parent

As a non-custodial parent, it can be frustrating and distressing when the custodial parent ignores your attempts to communicate with your child. It’s understandable to feel powerless in such a situation, but there are steps you can take to protect your parental rights. In this article, we will discuss how long you need to wait until you can ask the court for help and what you can do to establish a parenting plan.

No Parenting Plan in Place

If you only have child support orders in place, there is no parenting time or legal decision-making plan established. It means there is no custodial and non-custodial parent legally recognized by the court. You have a de facto arrangement, which means an informal arrangement between parents. Under such circumstances, you can face challenges when trying to see your child or make legal decisions about your child’s welfare.

Abusing Power

If the custodial parent is ignoring your attempts to communicate with your child, they may be abusing their power. This is because the custodial parent holds the majority of the parenting time, legal decision-making power, and control over the child’s day-to-day life. When the custodial parent ignores the non-custodial parent, it can be detrimental to the child’s wellbeing and the non-custodial parent’s parental rights.

Going to Family Court

It’s important to go to Family Court as soon as possible if you feel that your parental rights are being infringed upon by the custodial parent. You can get a court order in place for legal decision-making and parenting time. A parenting plan establishes the rights and responsibilities of both parents and outlines how the child’s time will be divided between the parents.

Free Case Evaluations

If you are in Arizona, we offer case evaluations at Modern Law. Our experienced family law attorneys can help you establish a parenting plan that suits your needs and protects your parental rights. We can advise you on the legal options available to you and help you navigate the court system.

Don’t Wait To Establish A Parenting Plan

In conclusion, as a non-custodial parent, you do not have to wait until a certain time to ask the court for help. Even if you only have child support orders in place, you can establish a parenting plan that ensures you have legal decision-making power and parenting time with your child. Don’t hesitate to contact a family law attorney if you feel that your parental rights are being ignored or infringed upon. We can help you protect your relationship with your child and ensure that their best interests are being served.


Recent Posts
Follow Us